Sunday, December 12, 2010

Bienvenido, Myla Grace!

This post would be better if I knew how to put text and pictures in a post without making them crazy looking...  Oh well.  Since Grandma is here holding Miss Myla, I can write about her birth story.  Feel free to not read this if you aren't into childbirth in all its glory and awkwardness (I'm probably a "tmi" kind of storyteller).  Around maybe 7:00am on Wednesday morning, my water broke.  Only, it wasn't so obvious to me.  It took me approximately 3 hours of wondering whether or not that was in fact my water breaking before I called the OB and asked her to check me really quickly.  The whole thing was somewhat questionable to me until I got to the doctor, where it became clear.  It was one of those: either I'm peeing my pants continuously or my water definitely broke moments.  Awesome experience.  Dr. McDonald sent us to the hospital with broken water and zero contractions whatsoever.  (Sidenote: my MIL surprised us by coming to town a few days early.  She arrived Tuesday afternoon.  Perfect timing, huh?)  We got to the hospital around 11:30, and I got the pleasure of going on the highest starting dose of Pitocin available around 12:30 after I got the mandatory full IV bag.  Then, the contractions started.  Ok, I can do this.  I've had cramps before.  The worst part of it all was getting up to go to the bathroom with a towel between my legs and unplugging 3 monitors just to make it over there.  My whole birth plan was not to have one so that I couldn't disappoint myself too badly over pain meds or whatever.  Secretly though, I wanted to go as long as I could without an epidural.  People have done it before, right?  No big deal.  Fast forward to one hour later.  Yes, one hour.  That is how long I lasted with Pitocin-induced contractions every two minutes that felt like knives stabbing me in the back.  My mom asked me some harmless question to which I started sobbing, and the nurse came in to offer me anesthesia.  Yes, please!  My lovely sister whipped my hair up into the awesome style shown in my facebook pictures as I was hanging forward to get to the epidural.  After that, it was smooth sailing.  We watched High School Musical 1-3 during labor.  Yes, you read it right.  You can't watch something too dramatic-- you're already in the most dramatic moment of your life!  It calls for musical theater.  Long story short, I was induced around 12:30 and pushing at 5:45pm.  It was fast.  My sister even had to switch to the HSM3 dvd in between pushes.  Miss Myla Grace Livingston was born at 6:09pm weighing in at 7 lbs, 2 ounces and 20.5 inches long.  She looked so tiny!  I may be biased, but I think she's pretty cute.  I think we'll keep her.   
 This was the moment Dave's heart was stolen...

Auntie Kristen is just a teeny bit excited!

 This is Myla in her going home bear-butt outfit before she had a poop blowout all over Aunt Kristen.  Good thing we had a backup!  It's also the "here's my baby and I still look pregnant with another" photo.

GZ + Scooter


Nana and Grandma are pretty excited, too.

Aunt Lat had to come and bring the requested post-child birth meal for me: Whataburger.  The iced tea was glorious.

Here is Dave with 3/4 of his girls.  He's a natural.

We went for a little walk around the block yesterday.  The preparation for the walk took much longer than the walk itself.  Dave looks pretty good with a baby strapped to him.  On day #1 he said he can see why people might have 16 children.  I'm not really there yet. 

3 comments:

  1. We love the pictures and the comments! You are both naturals. Give yourself a few days before thinking of another.....but kids are awesome!

    Love you all,

    Marilyn for all the McGuires

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Katy and Dave! Myla is absolutely gorgeous :) Sounds like you went really well with the birth too. Rachel (Kimb's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a champ! And all while watching a musical! I am so happy for you guys - she is so beautiful. I would tell Dave to slow down with the 16 children comments, but if they all come out that perfect - I say go for it!
    Love you! Brooke

    ReplyDelete