Monday, March 21, 2011

Stand by your Man (even if...)

Before I married Dave, I knew there were some things that we would have to sacrifice in order to have a successful relationship.  We went to counseling, we read the books, we prepared ourselves to love each other unconditionally.  (Remember that key word: unconditionally).  Let me start off by saying I married the greatest guy in the world.  He balances me out and makes me a better person.  He's also an awesome dad. 

That being said, I knew from the start that my husband wasn't a fashionista.  That's fine, because neither am I.  Nevertheless, there were a couple of things that Dave changed rather easily while we were dating.  Very early on, I explained to him kindly that one should probably wear black shoes if he is wearing a black belt.  Dave solved this problem by getting a reversible belt.  That way, any wardrobe malfunction could be easily switched.

But sometimes, you have to come to terms with the fact that there are things about the man you love that you can't change.  Things that you shouldn't even try to change.  Things that you have to let go.  

Case in point:  The Mandals

David Livingston has worn mandals since I met him.  Texas is too hot, and his feet need to breathe.  Mandals can easily go from casual to formal by simply buckling the back straps rather than walking on them.  The beloved mandals can not be changed to a flip-flop style, because he doesn't like things between his toes.  (My father is the only other person I know with this serious toe issue).

These are Dave's mandals from when we were dating.  They now reside on our back porch.  They are no longer seen by the public.

This is his current pair. He wears them everywhere he goes (except for work).  I actually picked them out.  You know why?  Because in my complete maturity as a wife and a grownup, I realized that I should not try and dissuade my beloved husband from buying mandals, because they make him happy.  I made a vow.  For better, for worse.  For ugly shoes, for beautiful shoes.  I take that very seriously. 


So I will stand by my man, even if he wears mandals for the rest of his life.

**Is there anything silly your mate does that you have decided to just let go?  (Seriously, I want to know).**

6 comments:

  1. David has multiple articles of clothing that I just have to look the other way on. Want me to list them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe chews on straws...constantly. Also, he leaves cabinet doors open all the time. As long as I don't step on a masticated straw in the dark or bang my head on the corner of a wide open cabinet, I suppose I just have to let these things go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at this and read your post out loud to Matt. I ignore the fact that Matt loves sports Jerseys (and NEEDS a new one constantly). He said he outgrew them this past year and has since changed his mind :). I had to give up my side comments and stop mentioning how I notice that not many other guys really wear them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt Consumer Report/researches EVERYTHING. The pre-selection/research process can take hours, weeks, sometimes months and can even stretch into the buying process. I learned to just give him my debit card or send him with a check...there is only so many games of Bejeweled that can be played in Sears/Home Depot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! Dave, on the other hand, is a girl about shoes. He has more than I do. He LOVES getting and sporting new shoes. Obsession may be a good word for it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Keith and I got married 28 1/2 yrs ago, I got rid of all his clothes. After our honeymoon I went into the closet and threw everything out. Let me explain why: He had plaid pants, shirts that didn't match and a pair of green dress shoes that curled up on the toes like elf shoes. Let me repeat, I threw everything out except for 1 pair of plaid pants and 1 shirt that I saved for my Halloween costume. Today we still laugh about those Green Elf shoes.

    ReplyDelete