This year I will be working for a few hours in the afternoons at the wonderful school where I student taught. This past weekend, my dad met up with me at Kohl's because apparently, you're never too old for back-to-school shopping. If you know me, you know that I generally do not enjoy shopping or spending a lot of money on things. While the money part wasn't an issue this time (thanks Mom and Dad!), I still like to hit up Kohl's because of their selection and cheapness. For the same reasons, my other go-to place is Old Navy. I'm not ashamed.
Anyway, the concept of "work clothes" is a bit of an issue for me, because historically, I have not had a job which required me to dress in your typical business attire. To illustrate this, how about a short walk down memory lane:
In my first job out of college, I worked with a lot of great people and got about as fancy as this:
(This was the official employee photo I was forced to take).
or this:
(This photo was actually taken at a party in college, but I'm pretty sure I wore this same outfit to work the following year. My seamless transition of party clothes to work clothes shows you just how craaaaazy I partied in college. I'm pretty sure there's lemonade or something in that cup).
After that, I moved to the Dominican Republic for 6 months to work in a place where I frequently dressed like this:
or this:
But alas, 6 months in another country showed Dave what he was missing, so I had to come back home and act really charming for a week for him to propose. My next job made me wear this:
(This photo was taken during a pre-workday 7:00 a.m. Starbucks date. It was Dave's idea! He's so dreamy).
By the next time I needed "work" clothes, I was already knocked up. The awesome Lindsay gave me her maternity clothes, so that plus a few extra shirts got me through the fall semester of school!
(Note: after this photo, there were still 4 more weeks left of me getting huger).
ALL that to say, I needed to purchase some clothes for work! This trip was a coming of age experience for me, because I realized for the first time that I am, in fact, old. I started off uncertain of where to browse, because I went straight from shopping in the Juniors section to the Maternity section at Kohl's. Now where should I go?! My internal dialogue was eye-opening. I started off wandering around the Juniors section because "Hey, I'm really not that much bigger than I was before..." I felt myself looking at clothes, then shouting in my head, "You're somebody's wife and mother, get out of here!"
So then I went to the grownups section...
Over the course of the trip I found myself thinking these things, which further proved my transition into being a woman of a certain age:
"Hmm, it's nice that these pants come up a little higher to camouflage some of the tummy pooch."
"I'll have to get an undershirt if I want to wear that."
"I just wish there were more shirts with 3/4 length sleeves."
"I think my mom might have this same shirt... oh well."
The last thought was the most shocking of them all, friends. I guess since I'm already headed down this road I should go ahead and buy some cold cream and learn how to crochet...
Old Navy is having a sale today! And I can teach you to crochet if you want! (We can be unashamed together. ;) Because on my own, there's definite shame going on here.)~Allyson
ReplyDeleteKaty, you crack me up! What a fun, hilarious post. I love your blog and keeping updated on your life. Hope all is going well!
ReplyDelete