Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Here We Come a-Krogering

(Since the Christmas songs have already begun in my brain)...

     Yesterday, I had a first-time experience at my local Kroger.  Side note: I love my Kroger, and my only real complaint is that they don't have enough of those God-awful shopping carts that I swore I would never use with plastic cars on the front for kids.  I hate them.  I hate them, but I need them.

     Anyway, as a general rule, I can't stand when people don't take their shopping carts back to the cart corral.  Because of this, I usually park next to one.  On this particular trip, I parked across the aisle because it was a little more crowded than usual.  Since I shop only every couple of weeks, it takes a while to unload everything.  I usually turn on the car, put the kids and my purse in it, then unload.  I did all those things and jogged (yea, I do that sometimes, it's awesome) my cart over to the cart area.

     As I was getting into the car, a man walked up to the door.  Mind you, I had my car unlocked and running (since it's too flipping hot to keep it off) with my children in it for two seconds leading up to this, so it freaked me out a bit that he walked up to my door wanting to say something to me.  He was showing me a car key in his hand and telling me some story about needing to get home (which I only partially heard due to the noisy air conditioning) and asking for $3 for gas.  Here's the thing.  Becoming a mother (or maybe just living in the world today) has affected me.  First of all, I couldn't stop thinking about this story: http://katytimes.com/news/article_45824626-1c89-11e3-b6cb-0019bb2963f4.html

     For the ten seconds I was listening to this man, my thoughts were all across the board.  One part of my mind was thinking that I truly want to be a generous person.  I have been given so much, and I can surely find a few dollars to help this man.  The other part of me was thinking, "I will murder you with my bare hands if you come close to my kids."   I think I muttered something like, "Sorry I can't help right now" and got out of there.

     Even thinking about it later on gave me conflicting feelings.  Part of me thinks that I want to love people and be a giver since I have been given so much, and the other part of me thinks I should go ahead and get a CHL, because back off, creepers.  What would you do? 

     [Mom, please don't call me and remind me not to speak to any strangers ever.  Love you!]

**I realize this post wasn't funny at all, so be distracted by looking at these photos!


 (A failed attempt at capturing the new freckles...)
 Chores: Start 'em young.

1 comment:

  1. It was a scam. He didn't need gas, he was just giving you a story to make you feel for him. You did the right thing by telling him no. In fact, I now say "No thank you" right away and move along. I don't need to hear his fake story about gas or a broken car or blah blah blah. The guy in the parking lot is no different than the beggars on the side of the road with signs. None of them are homeless or "military vets". They are all just trying to scam people to make a quick buck. At least that's my view...

    ReplyDelete