It feels weird saying that, mostly because I can't put a finger on my emotions. It's always sad when you lose family, but our situation is a bit complicated. I didn't know my grandfather very well, and Alaska isn't exactly close to Texas.
You see, my grandpa left when my dad was 5 years old. Dad is the oldest of three boys, so my grandma became a 25-year-old single mom in the early sixties. By God's grace, Ruthann Kemp had a ton of help and support from her family to raise my dad and his brothers. By the way-- have you met the Kemp men? I am sure they weren't what you would call "easy" kids.
Grandpa Kemp (or "Grandpa Eskimo" as some of my cousins liked to call him) was a functional alcoholic. I in no way want to dishonor his memory, but I want to tell our story. There is a reason my dad has never had a drink in his life, and that's because he saw the effects of alcoholism take place in his own family. I know this isn't the only thing that mattered about my grandpa. There is so much more.
I know that he forged a relationship with my dad as an adult. It may not have looked like a normal father-son relationship, but it was still redemptive.
I know that he called us every year or so and always, always said, "I love you" before hanging up.
I know that Grandpa made lifelong friendships in Alaska.
I know that his housemate physically took care of him until the very end. That's love right there.
I know that my dad inherited Grandpa's clear blue eyes, his charisma, and his gift of storytelling.
I know that there are three Kemp men who are steadfast husbands and fathers that are part of my Grandpa's legacy.
I hope that those three Kemp men can find some beauty in their trip together and maybe even have a few laughs along the way. I hope they learn new things about their dad and find some peace in laying him to rest.
The whole thing has been weird to process for all of us. But you know what? My little family has been staying with my parents for the past week as we prepare to move into a new home. I have watched my dad be the "official announcer" for princess pageants with my daughters. I have watched him rock my son to sleep almost every night. He wouldn't miss this for the world. And they will always know how he feels about them.
If that's not beauty rising from the ashes, then I don't know what is.

No comments:
Post a Comment