Monday, December 12, 2016

Myla Turned 6! (A few days ago...)


(Birthday skating in the house!)

Dear Myla,

      I blinked, and you're another year older.  I cannot even begin to sum up the past year, so I'll keep it short.  Myla, you are going to conquer the world.  But you're going to do it in your own time and in your own way.  As you and your siblings have grown up, I have tried to not get too wrapped up in my expectations of when you will reach milestones.  Things like riding a bike will just happen when they happen.  But girl, you still manage to surprise me.  After seeing your friend ride a bike this weekend, you spent 30 minutes by yourself with your bike on the driveway and just figured it out.  I have learned that if I give you time and encouragement, you accomplish things when you're good and ready to do so.  (You did not escape the biking adventure completely unscathed, but the injury seemed to be cured by an ice pack and television.  I fear for the day when TV bribery is unable to ease the pain).
                              

     Unsurprisingly, you love school, your teacher, and chatting it up with the girls all day.  I told your dad that the worst thing about Kindergarten is that right when you are reaching this age that can be downright pleasant much of the time, we have to send you away for 7 hours per day.  Don't get me wrong-- I love your siblings, but sometimes life with littles can be difficult.  There are so many things to carry ALL the time-- both literally and figuratively.  You turning 6 has made me excited for when Piper and Jon David will get older.  I am only wiping one butt in this house in addition to my own right now, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel where Glory! people can handle themselves.  Thank you for making me appreciate these days.

     Thank you for being my first, for making me smile, and for keeping me on my toes.  I love you BIG.  

Love, 
Mom

[Let's take a moment to smile at this bonus baby and her preciousness.  Both Piper and Myla have mentioned recently that they want us to have another baby, so if you see Dave anywhere, tell him to come back home.]

 [In lieu of a real birthday party, two friends spent the night. I let them play arcade games to their hearts' delight.  You know, without ever giving them a quarter.  Contact me for other ideas in dirt-cheap child-rearing].

 [Shooting tip from E: just stick your blanket and stuffed animal between your legs so you can make that shot].


 [When the Polar Express falls around lunchtime, lunch = popcorn and teddy grahams.  Let's just all take a moment to marvel at the fact that these girls carried their own popcorn and drinks without incident.  It's the little things.]

 [Another unexpected brave moment: getting the ears pierced with NO tears.  Granted, Kristen blurted out that she'd give Myla five bucks if she didn't cry, and you better believe Myla expected her to pay up].

 [Nestle Tollhouse smiles]

 [Y'all, there is a first time for everything.  My kids have never taken a photo with Santa. Ever.  I don't have anything against the big guy, but we haven't really done the Santa thing in our family.  Surprisingly, at the shopping center, we walked by this Santa with no line, so we asked if the girls wanted to say "Hi."  Can you tell which two were interested?]

 [I can't help but laugh at the two Santa skeptics on the right.  Such natural smiles!]


 [I am so thankful that kids can still be kids and just play, because I surely did not have a bunch of pinteresting things planned for the little ladies.  Bless those girls.  They made our first "sleepover party" experience easy].





No comments:

Post a Comment