That's right. If you're a guy, you should probably just not read this. (I realize this is cutting my readership significantly, seeing as though my dad is my main reader. Sorry, pops).
Here's the thing. I hope to breastfeed Scooter when she gets here. I mainly want to do this for two reasons:
- It's good for baby.
- I'm cheap. If I don't have to, I don't want to pay for cans of formula if God will custom make some baby food for Scootergirl.
Yes, I have heard and pretty much agree with "breast is best" philosophies. That being said, I'm not one of those people who thinks formula feeding is abusive. Everyone makes their own parenting decisions, and this is one that I don't think should be a huge controversy. I have talked to people who have legitimately not been able to breastfeed for whatever reason, and if that turns out to be me, I hope to not beat myself up over it.
Maybe I should get to the real point of this post. I need bra recommendations. Hey, I warned you that this was the least glamorous boob post ever! I am 3.5 weeks out from this baby, and I should probably be prepared. I know I want a cami-type thing, but other than that, I'm pretty lost. One question I have is: can I buy nursing bras now and assume the size will be ok, or am I going to swell up and be miserably huger after baby? The main things that matter to me in this nursing bra quest are:
- Ease of use. I hear that you have to hold a wiggly baby during the feeding process, so I need to be able to operate this contraption pretty easily without dropping said baby on the floor. Also, I am on the more clumsy end of the spectrum, but I still want to be able to feed a kid without flashing innocent bystanders.
- Price. Don't you remember #2 from before? I am sort of a budgeter, so please don't suggest a $90 bra unless it will change my life. If you can convince me that it will indeed change my life...I might agonize over it for a while then just make the purchase. Who even knows. Hormones are a funny that way.
I have no clue. But I enjoy/love your blog. And I'm glad that one day, when I have these questions, I can call you instead of blogging about it. ;) teehehe.
ReplyDeleteTons of advice on this :) Target has great nursing cami tanks that are fantastic for right after having the baby when you need something easy to open and also someting to cover your tummy as it won't look too pretty for awile :) buy at least two for the hospital you shouldn't change too much in size between now and then oh and they are cheep too :) Motherhood Maternity's bras are really cheep and dont last so don't waste your time same goes for most of the cheeper bras...also keep in mind that you will be leaking for quite awhile so you definetly will want to buy some nursing pads (target baby isle) DONT GO CHEEP HERE...you will get an infection believe me! Lansinol are the best and most discreet under a shirt (think bulls eye effect on other brands!) Most moms I know either use the cami or go to higher class (more expensive) stores like Mimi Maternity. Its really worth it... but don't go now wait until scooter is older and you are sure what size you are going to stay. Call me if i can help any more :) So excited for you!
ReplyDeleteThere is a store in Rice Village called A Mother's Work that sells nursing bras and all things nursing/maternity/new mom. I would highly recommend it! The women who work there are amazingly knowledgable and can help you get a nursing bra that is just the right size (and you kind of mentioned this, but you may wind up needing more than one size.....one for the first couple of weeks and one for later on). If I remember correctly, they have different price points, and since you will pretty much be living in your nursing bras/camis 24/7 make sure you get something you are 100% comfortable in. Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteIf you are wearing the cami underneath something or not going anywhere important, the cami idea will work for the first few months. You might also want two soft nighttime bras if the camis aren't comfy enough for sleep. Don't buy abra with a preformed cup because the size of your breasts will fluxuate slightly with the ebb and flow of your milk. After buying a couple expensive bras from Motherhood Maternity, I bought a cheapo nursing bra from Walmart with stretchy fabric, and I wore it every day for the next 9 months. (yes, I washed it frequently) Once I stopped pumping at work when Lily turned 1, I went back to my regular bra, and I just pull the fabric down when she wants to nurse. You will definitely need nursing pads in the beginning. My favorite for going out and about was the Gerber brand because they were really big and super thin. I hated Johnson and Johnson.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely get some nursing tanks. I didn't like the Target ones, although I know lots of folks who did. My favorites were these: http://www.motherwear.com/prod.cfm/cid/100/sid/5812 LIVED in them and yoga pants the first several months of the babies' lives. My favorite ever nursing bra was this one: http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=14251 It's not cheap, but it is less than $90. It WILL change your life. So comfy, so easy, and very flattering. So, those are my recs. For breast pads, I like the lansinoh ones. I tried cloth ones, but found them too bulky. The lansinoh ones were bigger than the gerber ones, and really thin. Nice coverage/protection while still comfy. http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=14251
ReplyDeleteoh, and if you go to a Woman's Work in Rice Village to try on bras, etc, write down the names of what you like and come home to shop online. They are overpriced. I didn't actually have good customer service experiences there, but again, I seem to be in the minority on that.
ReplyDeletehi! my best friend robin (who is your friend, too! :)) passed along your blog. i have a 10 month old and have some tips if you want them! the best bras i found are the medela brand -- available at buybuybaby, babies r us, and motherhood maternity. i got the racerback kind and have loved them (and i could pop it open easily at 3am, so that was a HUGE plus!). if you go to motherhood maternity, their salespeople will help you get the right size, which is great bc i was completely clueless as to what to do! as for nursing pads, i tried the disposable ones but found they stuck to me more. then, i got reusable organic cloth ones and they were fantastic! super soft and didn't stick to me. they weren't bulky either and lumpy like the non-organic brand. as for creams, i would go with the medela's nipple cream as well. it helped SO MUCH, especially those first few weeks. my little girl had really chapped lips her first week and it helped her too :) finally, get some hydrating lily padz!!! they are the next best gift from God, right after your little bundle of joy!! :) they gave me a pair at the hospital and i kept asking for more! by the way, stock up on EVERYTHING they give you in terms of your personal care at the hospital-- it will save you a lot of money :) GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS!!! oh, and take advantage of the lactation consultant in the hospital. they are great and have so many great tips. our pediatrician has a lactation consultant at their office and her support during the first 4 or 5 weeks is what kept me breast feeding.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you got a lot of answers. If you have more questions, feel free to email me. I have thoughts and feelings on just about everything.
ReplyDeleteHow is it that this many people have so much to say about leaky boobies? I'm disturbed.
ReplyDeleteThanks, everyone!
ReplyDelete