Saturday, May 28, 2011

What to Expect when You were Expecting, then Ended up with a Baby and no Manual...

My bulleted list for Friday Saturday is your typical plea for mommy advice in this digital age.  It's all about baby food and reflux.  Here goes:

Background info: Myla  is almost 6 months old.  She sleeps 11-12 hours a night without waking to eat.  She eats about 5x/day.  She still goes about 3 hours except for when she takes a nap that makes the interval longer.  She NEVER eats for more than 15 minutes total.  She is a spitter and most likely has some reflux issues, but usually doesn't seem too bothered by it for the most part except for the occasional "I don't want to eat because I'm screaming" moments...

*  How do you start solids?  Do you go straight into baby food three times a day and nursing 3 or 4 times a day?  Or do you just feed them some baby food every now and then until they're older?

*  Does starting solids help with reflux? 

*  If starting food didn't help you with reflux, do you have a favorite baby reflux medicine?  (We had her on the generic Prevacid, but I know other people have favorites).

Since this was the most boring post ever, I'll leave you with some pictures I stole from my dad of the Pooper's newest tricks!

 She can read!  (Actually, she can balance for a while by herself when we sit her up).

She started getting on all fours and rocking back and forth a bit before giving up.  It's pretty funny.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I started Kelbie on Rice Cereal first at that was at 3 months. Then I started introducing veggie baby food first. Do they same kind of baby food (carrots or whatever) for about 3 days just to make sure there isn't a reaction to anything and then once you have tried a variety of veggies then go to fruits and then you can mix and match. Kelbie eats oatmeal and a fruit for breakfast,rice cereal and a veggie for lunch and then 2 veggies for dinner. You can even start giving her actual solids basically anything you would eat and let her try them. Let me know if you have any more questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Www.wholesomebabyfood.com was my go-to site for the latest recommendations. You can even do key-word searches like 'reflux'. Based on my research, we started Lily with avocado. At first, eating solids was just for practice. She ate a little avocado once or twice a day. If she wanted to hold the spoon, I let her. It was always really funny. After she got the hang of swallowing, I introduced homemade squash puree. Then, I just kept adding new veggies or fruits. Eventually, I introduced rice and oatmeal, and made some TASTY dishes with those mixed with fruit. The great thing about making everything myself was that I could finish what she didn't. Yum! Between each new food, you should wait 4 days, according to current recommendations. Call me if you want more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also used the above referenced site. I started Carly with rice cereal and oatmeal at 6 months. She was really ready. I just fed her a little bit after a nursing session (like another person said it was just for practice at first). We did once a day for about a week or two - usually for "lunch". But she really liked it and caught on quickly so I added the other two "meals" relatively quickly after that. I think we stuck with just rice/oatmeal for a little while and then started doing veggies and fruits slowly after we got up to 3 solid meals a day. I've read differing ideas about introducing new foods but it's probably a good idea to wait at least 2 days before introducing a new one. Carly didn't have any issues with reflux so I can't help much there!

    ReplyDelete