Thursday, June 2, 2011

Full Belly, Happy Heart (a.k.a another boring, domestic post)

Through all my blog stalking of frugal and/or large families combined with reading "America's Cheapest Family," I have been inspired.  I pitched this idea to my cousin, and she is totally on board.

We want to spend a day cooking meals to freeze!  What, this isn't as exciting as you thought it was going to be?

Consider this: if I am able to make 4-5 meals in one day over the summer, then I have an "easy" dinner plan for one night a week for the next month.  And, it will still qualify as homemade (or not completely processed) food for my lovely husband who doesn't prefer dinner out of a bag.  (*If I wasn't married I would probably still be eating Kid's Cuisine).

Dave also has seasonal food preferences.  This means that he wouldn't really prefer heavy soups or stews over the summer because it's way too hot in Texas to be dripping sweat into your bowl of chili for dinner.

So far, the ideas I have for freezer meals are as follows: lasagna or something else pasta-related, chicken enchiladas.

See, I just started this quest for recipe ideas.  Now I need more.  Do you have a favorite meal to cook ahead and freeze?  The only requirement is that the meal can not be slathered in Velveeta.  Also, we usually cook for 4-6 people, since Dave takes leftovers to work almost everyday.

*I like the ones with the pizza and little brownie!

1 comment:

  1. Idk how you (and Dave) feel about it, but meatloaf freezes pretty well and is quite delicious. (Also, this is my way of coming out of the closet and telling you I stalk your blog from time to time :) ) --Audrey

    ReplyDelete