Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ten on Tuesday is making me nervous

Provided by a non-blogging, math teacher friend of RootsandRings.  Click here to link up!  For the record, I have a terrible memory, and I'm not great at math.  These two things make it totally pointless for me to do ToT today!  Oh well!


0.01×10^2. What was your best/worst day in math class?
      Um, I have absolutely no idea.  I guess my best day would be at freshman orientation when I took a placement test and scored high enough to take zero math classes in college.  Yay for pointless liberal arts degrees!


20×10^-1. Who was your favorite/least favorite math teacher? Why?

     Once again, I can't remember.  I was the kind of kid who usually liked my teachers...  I'll say that my favorite math teacher is the one I student taught with last year FBCA.  If your kid is going there in third grade, Mrs. Pearson rocks.  Just saying.  She'll bend over backwards for you, whether you are a student or a student teacher!


3×10^0. Is it okay to be bad at math if English is more your thing?

     Man, I sure hope so!  I mean, I think it's important to reach your full potential in all areas in school, but some people are clearly more inclined to one or the other.  I think that's ok.


0.4×10^1. How does this video make you feel?

     It makes me feel like I never want Myla to be in pageants.  Pageant satires would be acceptable, though.


500×10^-2. What do you like/not like about math?

     I like that there is (usually) a specific right answer.  I like pretty graphs.

     I dislike the confusing aspect of it. I don't like things where they start talking about "i" or something, and it's not even a real number.  What does that even mean, algebra teachers?!  How can you teach someone an imaginary number?   That's like teaching someone about unicorns and making them find the right one.


0.006×10^3. What makes someone a nerd?

     I don't know, maybe wearing socks and sandals?  Or making jokes about matlab.

7×10^0. Who is the nerdiest person you know?

     Not sure. 


80×10^-1. What is the nerdiest thing you’ve ever done?

     Dave and I watched the original Tron on one of our first "dates."  I fell asleep, which probably made him angry. 

0.9×10^1. Do you think GraphJam is funny?

     Yes.  I love a good graph.


10×10^1. Have you ever used math outside of school?

     Yes and no.  No, I don't use calculus or the sine and cosine buttons on my calculator in real life (shout out to Texas Instruments, those buttons work great, I'm sure.  Also, I just checked to see if I spelled those right, and I should probably have called them "functions" instead of "buttons." Whoops). 
      BUT, I was just talking to Dave the other day about this.  All of these "grown-up" things you do all the time can really screw you over if you don't understand math well or aren't very anal retentive about paperwork, like my husband is (thankfully).  I mean seriously, people my age are taking out loans, buying houses, doing taxes, and so many other things that I think we should be prepared for a little bit more in school...  It makes me wish someone had drilled the concept of complex interest into me way more!  I'll get off my soapbox now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment