Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"I want to live in Stars Hollow"

Dave: "It's not a real place, babe."

    When Dave's mom came down to stay with us for Myla's birth, she came armed with DVD's of many television series and movies.  One of those series was Gilmore Girls.  I was not a Gilmore watcher back when it was actually on tv--  I may have seen a handful of episodes total.  Dave, on the other hand, has seen every single episode ever made.  Turns out he had has a crush on Lorelai Gilmore, and who can blame him?  I think I have a crush on her, too.  When we watched the episode where she has a sixth sense about the first snow of the season and professes her love for the snow it made even more sense.  Dave has found his kindred spirit in a hot, fictional tv mom.  Anyway, we begged Mom to let us borrow her Gilmore series, and now it has become a bit of a weekend tradition for us at the Livingston home.  A typical Saturday night might include a glass of wine, a handful of chocolate chips, and 3 episodes of Gilmore Girls.  Jealous yet?  We have just begun season 6, and I am already starting to get nervous....  There are only 7 seasons, and running through my head is, "What will we do when it is over?!  I hope Luke and Lorelai stay together!  Rory is getting dumber with age!"  (Seriously, I know I am at least five years behind the times, but I don't want any spoilers).

     The problem is, Dave and I aren't very tv-compatible.  I have the potential to get into basically any show on television, with the exception of super sci-fi themes.  I am a social tv watcher (Shout out to my amores de Makarios).  I like dramas, comedies, reality tv and crime shows (a.k.a. every show in existence).  Dave likes...  How it's Made.  We don't have cable, so that's not even an option these days.

     I am here to make a plea to my faithful and unfaithful readers.  I need a glimmer of hope to be flickering at the end of our Gilmore road.  I need suggestions for an already-completed tv series that we could watch together on our frequent at-home dates so that we aren't sitting around on our respective computers until we wander off to bed.  I already mentioned my criteria (there are none).  Here are some criteria for Dave (these are my words based on observations and theorizing, and have not necessarily been endorsed by Dave himself):

*  Nothing too girly.
*  No long, dramatic scenes involving over 1.5 minutes of continuous dialogue and/or tears.
*  No nudes, nothing raunchy.  (This has to be said because Dave has the uncanny ability to unknowingly suggest movies to watch that always have boobs.  Always.)
*  Awkward humor like that in Seinfeld or the Office.  (I know, it makes me die a little inside, too).
*  Nothing extremely gory.
*  Reality tv
*  "The doctor shows with all the drama."

I am sure there are other insane demands, but just to give some insight on shows we are able to agree upon:
NCIS, The Unit, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs

If you know of a show that we could work our way through after Stars Hollow is no more (*tear*), shout out your suggestion.  The happiness of my future Saturday nights depends on it. 

Gosh, all this time spent writing about tv makes me think I should repent from it all!  Maybe.


9 comments:

  1. Audrey St. GermainJune 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM

    Castle is really fun... and we love Parenthood (although it is pretty dramatic).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey St. GermainJune 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM

    Also, we rented The Closer and that filled our Saturday nights for a while... it's a crime show, but it's character driven and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The West Wing is perhaps my favorite ever. Might be a little too liberal for you, though.
    Sports Night is only two seasons, but it's really good. (You have to power through the first couple episodes where they're still finding their way.)
    24 is good, particularly the first couple seasons. There's some subpar acting, but Jack Bauer, who will be your hero, overshadows that.
    We found Veronica Mars entertaining. Sorta high-schooly, but still good.
    If you can stomach sci-fi, I liked Battlestar Galactica and Firefly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to second West Wing. It's brilliant.
    Also we like Dexter. Yes, he's a serial killer, but the show is so good that you feel good about him.
    And Weeds. Again, its about selling weed, but its really good and funny.
    If you want to borrow Weeds and Dexter, let me know. We have a few seasons of both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leverage
    Arrested Development
    Firefly
    Doctor Who (the revived series...starting 2003?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuck
    Never too soon to revisit Lost =)
    Psych
    And I have to second the following already named suggestions:
    Dexter
    Veronica Mars
    Arrested Development

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit - I really enjoyed Falicity...Even Mark watched a few episodes, and MAYBE Nate has too? Cara has the entire DVD set and I borrowed it from her - but it really has everything. Happy Hunting!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. A. Lost. Best TV show ever invented. and it has spiritual metaphors. please believe. we have seasons 1,2 &3 to get you started.
    B. Arrested Development. Hilarious. but maybe some of that awkward humor he doesn't like. has a different feel than the Office.
    C. I've heard Dexter is good. It's about a serial killer/investigator? and his life. ironic comedy/thriller/drama/crime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brooke's wrong about Felicity -- I haven't seen a few episodes. I've seen them all, maybe a couple times. I'd like to blame that wholly on Cara, but I got sucked in.

    ReplyDelete